Look at Them Float!

I continue expressing my opinion on Ben Jordan adventure game series. Just to sum up a bit. Case 1: In Search of the Skunk-Ape (both, original and the Deluxe Edition) was a complete atrocity. Case 2: The Lost Galleon of the Salton Sea was pretty good, but a bit boring.

This time I am going to write about Ben Jordan Case 3: The Sorceress of Smailholm. Well, without further introduction, I would like to say that this game is the best of all the Ben Jordan games I've played so far. It tells a story about a Witch Cult and a story of love. It's definitely not The Lost Crown: A Ghost-Hunting Adventure, but is extremely good and deeply satisfying!

The Sorceress of Smailholm has it all: good graphics, logical puzzles and a swift storyline. There is almost nothing to dislike about this title, but still there are at least two things I found disappointing (if only a bit).

First of all, the game is extremely easy. As it came out in the end, there are two different endings, lets call them the "complete ending" and the "incomplete ending". The first time I played I managed to get the top score and see the "complete ending".

When the game is completed, there is a question Ben asks himself, the question which remained unanswered. The game suggests that player can chose a different path and see a different turn of events. Let me remind you, this happens if you score the maximum points and get the "complete ending".

Lucky for me, I had several saved games and I pretty much guesses where it is possible to take another route. I played the game to the end again, scoring much less points, just to see that Ben has even more questions.

So, no matter what ending you reach, one question goes unanswered. The question, which I really wanted to know the answer to. It's safe to say that this is the most important question in the game. I kinda felt cheated after being told that alternative turn of events could give additional answers. There are in fact no additional questions answered if Ben takes another route and comes to the "incomplete ending". I am not going to articulate this question, as it will spoil all the fun you would have playing the game. If you already did so, you probably know what I am mumbling about. Well, Francisco Gonzalez promises that the question will be answered in Ben's last case. This detail adds a nice touch to the series, creating anticipation.

Once again, I totally recommend Ben Jordan Case 3: The Sorceress of Smailholm to any adventure game lover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomb Raider Trilogy. Comparison: PC vs Xbox 360 vs PS3

There Is Life without the Internet...

The Spawn